|Hero of Holland Road Fire|
|Friday, 23 March 2012 10:30|
The importance of having smoke alarms fitted was brought home to Hazel Hodges of Holland Road, Leominster earlier this year when a fire started in the block of flats where she lives.
Mrs Hodges was woken up in the early hours of the morning by her smoke alarm, at first she thought it was the radio alarm but soon realised what it really was. She quickly rang the fire brigade and thought to warn the other people in the block of flats about the fire.
Mrs Hodges said: “I’ve always been a stickler for making sure there are new batteries in the smoke alarms and recently got my family to put a new battery in the smoke alarm in the hall. That night I just acted as if on automatic, it just happened but thank goodness for my smoke alarm”.
The fire brigade said that due to Mrs Hodges’ swift action and the smoke alarms, there had been far less damage than there could have been.
Well done to Mrs Hodges. Why not check your smoke alarm now?